Jo Shanmugalingam appointed as new Second Permanent Secretary at DfT
The Department for Transport (DfT) has announced that Jo Shanmugalingam has been appointed as the new Second Permanent Secretary at DfT. She is currently a Director General at the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT) and brings significant experience from across government departments.
Appointed following an open competition, the Second Permanent Secretary will provide leadership of a number of high-profile areas across DfT, including decarbonising transport, and will start formally at the end of May.
On Jo's appointment Mark Harper, Transport Secretary said:
'I am delighted to be welcoming Jo, who brings a wealth of experience from across government departments. I look forward to working with her to improve transport right across the country, including leading on delivering some of our top ambitions like decarbonisation and levelling up.'
More news of interest:
- Glasgow Central’s £1.2m platform improvement project is on-track
- Freightliner opens Ipswich Operational Training Academy
- BROOKESbuses to go electric and support Oxford’s net zero targets
- The University of Cambridge contributes nearly £30 billion to the UK economy and supports more than 86,000 jobs across the UK.
- New onboard announcements to make Britain’s buses accessible for everyone
- British Sign Language travel advice rolled out at major railway stations
- Asda and Wayve launch UK’s largest self-driving grocery home delivery trial
- TfL releases new detailed maps of the Superloop
- National Highways Chair moves on as fixed term comes to an end